Copenhagen Castle, Christiansborg, Power and 900 Years of History
Copenhagen Castle, Christiansborg, a centre of power - is like a walk through 900 years of history.
In 1157, Valdemar the Great granted the fishermens' village Havn with its surroundings to his brother, Absalon who was bishop of Roskilde. Absalon immediately constructed a castle just off the coast - and we'll start by taking a look at its ruins, still visible under Christiansborg castle and its square.
Afterwards we'll walk around on the island that houses the castle, Slotsholmen. This island is artificial and as mentioned, was the original site of Absalon's castle. At the start of the 15th century, Copenhagen was declared the capital of the Danish Realm and the castle became a centre of power for the Kalmar Union between Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Even today, it is still houses the Danish parliament, Folketinget.
In 1733 the castle was turned into a dreamlike baroque building, which burnt down partly in 1794. In 1828 it was renovated in a classicist style by C.F. Hansen, the last remnant of which is the castle church which survived another fire in 1884 that burnt down the central wing. The present central wing was inaugurated in 1928.
We'll go in and look at the Queen of Denmark's section of the castle, which is open to the public when her majesty is not present. Here we'll go through the castle's and country's entire history, assisted by its famous tapestries.
If there's enough time, we'll take a good look at the castle church.
This walk starts and ends in the inner courtyard of the castle.